# HG changeset patch # User ht # Date 1236549858 14400 # Node ID ee233da81436ce5cea6e299979be7ee6a4c893ee # Parent 3c41ed6a48aabcba5f61e3033b3d33901e635494 raw diff -r 3c41ed6a48aa -r ee233da81436 7vt/fmh_2009-03-08.xml --- /dev/null Thu Jan 01 00:00:00 1970 +0000 +++ b/7vt/fmh_2009-03-08.xml Sun Mar 08 18:04:18 2009 -0400 @@ -0,0 +1,131 @@ + + + +]> + + + Future of 7 VT working group: Sixth meeting + This informal summary by Henry S. Thompson, Convenor + Held at 7 Victoria Terrace, Edinburgh on 8 March 2009, 7:30 p.m. + + +
+ Attendance +

Present: Alison Burnley, Madeleine Harding, Phil Lucas, +Brian Mayes, Laurie Naumann, +Eileen Schott, Henry Thompson (in the clerk's chair)

+
+
+ External lettings survey forms, and anecdote +

Anthony Buxton shared a number of completed survey forms filled in by +external letting clients. ES reviewed these. There were 28 forms, 24 from +2008: we don't know what proportion of the total clients this represents. Most +of the tick-box ratings are good or excellent. There are positive comments +about individual staff being helpful, the negative comments are about rooms +being too small, or cold, or the state of the toilets. The one thing that +looks like it could be improved is "the accuracy of information received".

+

HST talked with Anthony about an example which he had heard of from a +friend, in which a group had stopped a long-standing regular let because they +could no longer bring their sandwiches.

+
+
+ Review of envisaging futures +

Brainstorming

+ + Day-time letting only? + Quaker Centre? + Full-service Rain Forest Cafe? Year-round? + + Rain Forest Cafe and/or Festival to pay for the kitchen refit, over time? + + + Quaker presence? + Eliminate regular bookings in favour of blocks? + A Quaker-only centre? + Move out + + And buy a building to be just a meeting house + And use rented accommodation + And meet as house groups + And share a building, either new or rented—Nicholson Square +Methodist Church; Southside Community Centre; new Prestonfield Community Centre + + + Primarily seen as a physical resource for the AM, with other activities complementing that + Simplify things? Reduce the kitchen to hot-drinks only? + Being open to young Quaker groups? + Doing (whatever we do) in our own space + Being a base for outreach? + Provide courses for Quakers (and non-Quakers) -- Quaker Quest all year round + Move kitchen to ground-floor, replacing office/Bow room, and make the +foyer a real cafe [new from Anthony Buxton via HST after the meeting] + +
+
+ Food hygiene regulations +

We discussed the complexities of the interaction between details of use +and details of regulations. We were uncomfortable with the extent to which the +letter of the law has been applied, and wondered whether in practice we should +be willing to formulate a level of not-quite-strictly enforcing some things. +AM trustees are looking into this, but perhaps not with the urgency we need.

+

The problem with people bringing in their own food is, we are told, the +risk of cross-contamination, but most groups are now happy with having food +catered in when an all-day event involves a meal.

+
+
+ Towards a timetable +

HST attempted a brief exercise in working backwards from our notional +deadline of 6 June for a report to AM.

+

We asked ourselves, based on others' expectations, whether we will report +on a series of options, their costs and benefits, or whether we will make "a recommendation".

+
+ Draft table of contents + + Background/history/introduction + Financial background/situation + Description of the building + Current use of building (some history) + Regulatory impact + + Alternative futures + + In 7 Victoria Terrace + + Less + The Same + More + + + Elsewhere + + Own + Not + + + + + +
+
+
+ Next steps +
+
+ Actions review and new actions +

HST to get the Kath Russell report [pending], and some letting evaluation +forms, say from 4Q2008, and circulate [done]. Also ask if any +summary or collation has been done [done, answer is 'no'].

+

HST to ask John Phillips for an electronic version of his notes for us

+

HST to ask Ken Jobling where to find the details of how food hygiene regulations +apply depending on exactly what's happening. [pending]

+

HST to invite Mark Hutcheson to one of our meetings at his earliest +convenience, as Convenor of AM Trustees.

+
+
+ Next Meeting +

Our next meeting will be at 7 Victoria Terrace at 5:15pm on Sunday 22 March. We +tentatively agreed on Friday 3 April 5:30pm for our next meeting after that.

+
+ +