# HG changeset patch # User ht # Date 1238794571 14400 # Node ID d1bf7148e0f19e83ad4b7bb3ab5e8fed10889213 # Parent 6f8afd5104dbae2cdc6f24b38e9e0b02c355502a fmh_2009-04-03.xml diff -r 6f8afd5104db -r d1bf7148e0f1 7vt/fmh_2009-04-03.html --- /dev/null Thu Jan 01 00:00:00 1970 +0000 +++ b/7vt/fmh_2009-04-03.html Fri Apr 03 17:36:11 2009 -0400 @@ -0,0 +1,59 @@ + + +Future of 7 VT working group: Eighth meeting

Future of 7 VT working group: Eighth meeting

This informal summary by Henry S. Thompson, Convenor
Held at 7 Victoria Terrace, Edinburgh on 3 April 2009, 5:30 p.m.

1. Attendance

Present: Alison Burnley, Madeleine Harding, +Brian Mayes, Laurie Naumann, +Eileen Schott, Henry Thompson (in the clerk's chair)

Prevented: Phil Lucas, Rufus Reade

2. Real Estate Market review

AB identified some commercial estate agents, and spoke with a local +agent: his estimate for 1 large room, 2 smaller rooms, kitchen and lavatories +was 150 to 200 thousand pounds, in the centre of Edinburgh.

This would require not only selling 7VT but also at least one of the +flats.

Our current Meeting Room is 792sq ft, as is the hall.

Not clear how quickly we could sell, or what a realistic cost for a +building that would suit us would be, that is, not clear that we could get a +building with an 800sq ft room for 200 thousand.

If we remain a central meeting, we need at least that much space, as the +Meeting Room is full on busy Sundays. If we are split up, what does that do to +our community?

ES looked at out-of-town 'units', semi-industrial, no costings retained. +Windows are an issue, and of course conversion costs would be high.

3. Comparison with other meeting venue rentals

ES looked at our rental charges and those of some other church hall +rentals in the area. The figures look broadly comparable to ours, so there is +not much scope for raising prices to get more income. ES was impressed by the +quality of the website the Meeting House uses to present itself to potential +renters. Having a manager on site also meant our response time was much better +than most of the other sites.

4. Status for form distribution/collection

Financial experts
LN waiting for review of his proposed +questions, will interview individuals.
Lettings comparison
ES has done this, see above.
Quaker groups
MH has distributed a questionnaire, and has +between 1/3 and 1/2 of them back
Central Edinburgh
Forms were available at the rise of meeting +on Sunday 29th March, 25 replies in hand.
Midweek meeting
AB has given out some forms, more to go out +next Wed.
Local meetings
No news from PL
MH staff
No news from PL

We'll try to have tabulated responses by our next meeting, at which point +we can combine across different groups

5. Next steps and next time

We agreed that dividing up the writing work makes sense, and HST agreed +to try to move us forward on the draft table of contents so that we can begin +to agree who will contribute what writing. HST said that he envisages having +both a report on our work, covering all the information we've gathered, +probably quite substantial, and a much shorter 'executive summary'.

What about soliciting forward-looking input from various +constituencies? Time is short, but we need to give people an opportunity to +contribute to the vision.

We will have two open meetings to give people the opportunity +to share their visions of the future with us: 3 p.m. on 3 May and 7:30pm on 4 May.

ES shared her idea of a public participation (experiential) means of +presenting our findings and helping the AM to understand our findings, maybe at +AM on 6 June, or afterwards.

6. Actions review and new actions

HST to get the Kath Russell report [done]

HST to ask John Phillips for an electronic version of his notes for us [done]

HST to ask Ken Jobling where to find the details of how food hygiene regulations +apply depending on exactly what's happening. [overtaken]

HST to invite Mark Hutcheson to one of our meetings at his earliest +convenience, as Convenor of AM Trustees. [done]

ES to get some costs of out-of-town units

HST to get publicicity out about the vision input meetings.

7. Next Meeting

Our next meeting will be at 7 Victoria Terrace at 5:30pm on Friday 24 April. We +tentatively agreed on Friday 1 May 5:30pm for our next meeting after that.

\ No newline at end of file